Seven days of workshops and events, IGNITE Creative Futures 2021 brings together everything you need to know to help you make the most of the IGNITE platform. Get practical advice from industry professionals, alumni and experts from across the University in order to showcase your talent, connect with others and maximise opportunities.
IGNITE Creative Futures 2021
24th May – 2nd June 2021
To book onto one of the workshops please click onto the link and sign into MyCareer using your university username and password. Please note that these sessions are only available to the final year University of Plymouth students from the School of Art, Design & Architecture and the School of Humanities & Performing arts.
To learn more about IGNITE click here and for up to date news on the IGNITE Festival of Creativity 2021 click here.
To learn more about how the University of Plymouth Careers Service can support you click here
To learn more about how The Cube can support you click here
Get ready to go live
When thinking about transitioning from your studies into the working world (professional job, self-employment etc.) it is important to have an idea of who you are and what you have to offer. This is beneficial in helping you to set goals and ensure you make the most of the Ignite platform, along with creating an engaging, impactful and authentic profile page. Your page will contain links to your online portfolio, social media channels and selling platforms so it is important that these also are professional, reflect who you are and showcase your talent.
To help you go live this series of workshops include:
- The art of climbing mountains: how to keep your ambitions on track after graduation | Monday 24th May | 4-5.30pm
- LinkedIn for creatives | Wednesday 26th May | 12-1pm
- Knowing your value, and values, as a creative individual | Wednesday 26th May | 3-4pm
- Developing an effective profile | Friday 28th May | 12-1pm
- Setting up an online shop & Q&A for setting up online memberships | Friday 28th May | 1-2pm
The Ignite platform aims to connect you with the public and industry so you can generate freelance opportunities, and/or be contacted for job roles.
Get ready to maximise opportunities
In order to make the most of these opportunities you need to know how to deal professionally with incoming offers of work, along with developing effective self-promotional materials. To help you to maximise opportunities this series of workshops include ‘Hello is it me you’re looking for?’ The art of self-promotion creative CV competition.
The closing date for this competition is Thursday 25th May at midnight and prizes include £150 for the winning entry. To find out more please click here
To help you to maximise opportunities this series of workshops include:
- Getting yourself noticed with a creative CV (useful when preparing for the competition) | Monday 24th May | 12-1pm and Tuesday 25th May 5-6pm
- Nail that creative opportunity: effective CV and covering letters | Tuesday 25th May | 11-1pm
- Nail that creative opportunity: Effective presentation and interview skills | Thursday 27th May | 2-4pm
- Assertiveness for creatives | Friday 28th May | 10-11.30am
- How to successfully manage & balance portfolio working | Wednesday 2nd June | 4-5.30pm
Get ready to work for yourself
Through making new connections and reaching new audiences, the Ignite platform could potentially lead to a range of new opportunities including working for yourself and collaborating with others to set up a business and/or developing projects. It is therefore important to know the basic principles of business and working for yourself.
To help you get ready to work for yourself this series of workshops include:
- Sales and Marketing Explained | 26th May | 1-2pm
- How to pitch with clarity and confidence | Wednesday 26th May | 5-6pm
- Costing & Pricing your product or service | 26th May | 11-12pm
- Intellectual Property & Copyright | 27th May | 1-2pm
- Raising your profile and reaching your customers / clients in freelancing and self-employment | 27th May | 11-12pm